My favorite meal of the day has always been breakfast. I love a good plate of eggs or a nice loaded omelette to kick my day off and that's probably one of the reasons that eating low carb works well for me. When I’m on the go or have super busy mornings, I don’t always have the time to cook a nice hearty meal, so I turn to meal prep. One of the easiest things to prep is breakfast casseroles or crust-less quiches. With this recipe I meshed my love for tacos along with some eggs in an easy to make form. Enjoy!
Breakfast Taco Casserole
- 1 lb Grass Fed Ground Beef - I generally like to use sustainably raised, grass fed and or free range meats in my cooking. These can be found at most local supermarkets as well as Trader Joe’s and Whole Foods. Conventionally raised meats tend to have a lower ratio of “good fats” such as omega 3s, and sometimes have hormones/ antibiotics that are trapped in their fat. I always recommend buying the highest quality meat you can afford. Feel free to use ground turkey, chicken or pork as desired!
- 7 Eggs - Similar to the beef, I like to recommend the best quality eggs you can afford. Conventional eggs are hatched by chickens that are generally locked in bins and just pump out as many eggs as possible. Cage free eggs are required to give chickens access to movement, and free range chickens generally have access to outdoors.
- Seasonings - Season the beef to desired spice level. For an easy taco seasoning, I like to use 1 tsp of each: Oregano, Garlic, paprika, cumin, adobo seasoning (MSG free), salt, pepper and red pepper.
- ¼ Medium Onion - Feel free to add additional ingredients such as jalapenos, cheese, peppers, mushrooms. Note that the macro counts will change.
Step 1- Pre-heat oven and grease pan
- Turn on oven to 425 degrees
- Using spray olive oil or butter, grease a 8x8 Pyrex or loaf baking pan
Step 2 - brown and season ground beef
- Cook ground beef over medium heat on the stove until almost brown
- Add in onions and other ingredients as desired
- Season beef and add ¼ cup of water, stir to mix
Step 3 - Beat eggs
- Crack eggs into a bowl
- Beat eggs until yolks are mixed with whites
Step 4 - Assemble in pan, bake and serve
- Pour ground beef mixture into pan
- Pour egg mixture over
- Bake for 35 minutes at 375 degrees, or until middle is firm
- Remove from oven and let stand for 15 minutes, serve and enjoy!
Nutrition Facts (Please note these are estimated): In 1/9th of the casserole: 168 Calories; 14.3 Protein; 11.3 Fat; 1.2 Carb
Garnish with sour cream, cheese, jalapenos, or whatever else you enjoy based on your nutrition goals!
Hopefully you enjoy this recipe! Until next time, catch me in the comments!
By the Way… Dont forget I'm an affiliate with both Perfect Keto and Equip foods, so click below and use my codes to save some green! You are entitled to 15% off of your purchase! Also while you're at it, check out an awesome recent article from Perfect Keto: What does 30 grams of carbs look like Hurry, because these links will expire soon:
Perfect Keto – LINK HERE Code: KETOTIME15
Equip Foods – LINK HERE Code: PERFORMING15
ABOUT PERFORMING NUTRITION: JON IS A CERTIFIED NUTRITION COACH THROUGH THE INSTITUTE FOR INTEGRATIVE NUTRITION, AND PURSUING A M.S. IN NUTRITION AT THE UNIVERSITY OF BRIDGEPORT. PERFORMING NUTRITION OFFERS TAILORED PROGRAMS FOR MEN AND WOMEN OF ALL SIZES AND BACKGROUNDS LOOKING TO LOSE FAT, GET STRONGER AND BECOME ALL AROUND HEALTHIER.
DISCLOSURE… EVEN THOUGH HE IS A CERTIFIED NUTRITION COACH AND STUDYING TO BE A NUTRITIONIST, OPINIONS SHARED HERE SHOULD NOT BE A REPLACEMENT FOR YOUR DOCTOR. PLEASE CONSIDER USING THE LINKS TO PURCHASE ITEMS TO SUPPORT THIS BLOG. PERFORMING NUTRITION IS A MEMBER OF AMAZON ASSOCIATES, PERFECT KETO ASSOCIATES, EQUIP FOODS ASSOCIATES AND MAY RECEIVE A COMMISSION.